Let’s face it: there are only a few reliable websites out there that can point us in the direction of the MIG welders that are totally worth our money.
With the influx of all the Chinese brands selling MIG welders for all-time low prices, the task of picking the best MIG welder from the plentiful choices has become increasingly difficult.
Given these scenarios, how do you get the best MIG welder without frying your brain? Well, this article aims to address this problem by introducing you to the top five MIG welders right away. That said, our personal favorite product is the Hobart 500559 Handler. Shoppers from all over the place can consider this MIG welder without any hesitation.
A Spotlight On Some of The Best MIG Welder 2021:
ETOSHA MIG 140 Welder
This little welder is good enough to take you by surprise. In other words, you can have high hopes from this best MIG welder.
As advertised, it’s efficient, reliable, portable, and convenient, all at the same time. Not to mention that this welder is easy to set up and put to use. Needless to say, it welds fine too. Basically, this 140 amp output welder fairs well against anything you put it through.
The ETOSHA MIG 140 Welder is plentifully powerful for home repair projects. As mentioned in the product description, it lets you weld (mild)steel up to ¼-inch plate. It’s also designed to make automatic adjustments to match the current and wire feeding speed.
Moreover, the electric choke control in it ensures less spattering. It can also penetrate deep into various metals with less effort than usual. So, this MIG welder is quite beginner-friendly on all fronts.
Furthermore, it’s not terribly heavy like other welders out there, which equates to less hand fatigue. This also means that you will be able to carry this MIG welder easily from one job site to another.
The best part is the ETOSHA MIG 140 Welder holds up well to a lot of welding jobs. It’s not meant for professional welders, though. As expected, professional welders will have to look for a more expensive welder. Overall, it’s a great welder for home projects.
- It features Automatic Thermal Safety Protection technology that prevents the motor from burning out during overload scenarios.
- Weighing close to 15 lbs, it’s one of the lightest MIG welders out there.
- It has a very reliable design that allows it to penetrate deep without spattering a lot.
- This MIG welder comes with a host of items, such as the ground clamp, welding mask, welding wire, and more.
- The quality of the accompanying wires is not up to the mark. Better wires will definitely raise the level of this MIG welder.
Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V
If you are someone who is always making or building something n your home garage, you should get the Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V in a heartbeat.
Although expensive, the quality of this best MIG welder is excellent enough to influence your mind to save more and get this product in lieu of other inexpensive MIG welders. Seriously, the quality is fabulous enough to make it a trending product in its segment.
The Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG Welder 115V has a very rugged steel construction to it. Seriously, every part of this machine is sturdier than equivalent products. There’s no way this thing will break down no matter how many times you test it to its limits. Even the wire assembly of this unit is all metal as opposed to plastic, which you don’t often see with similar products.
The product’s size, 140 amp power, and five-position voltage control feature make it so versatile that it can handle a wide variety of welding jobs without any fuss. As advertised, it welds smoothly and consistently within its limits, which is capped at 24 gauge up to 1/4 –inch thick metals.
Better still, it’s simplistic enough to figure out how to use this MIG welder because of its unsophisticated design. It was perhaps built keeping most beginner’s interest in mind.
With the order of this MIG welder, you also get a host of complimentary items, such as the 10-foot cable, a power cord, a regulator with a gas hose, Quick Select drive roll, and 0.30” contact tips.
On the whole, this MIG welder is perfect for all the hobbyists out there who usually find themselves needing a repair tool of this nature to fix or build stuff from the comforts of their home or garage.
- This MIG Welder can meet the expectations of both casual and intermediate-level welders.
- Most of the future buyers will also be pleased to learn that this MIG welder has received the least number of undesirable reviews.
- The packaging is as solid as it can get. It comes in a really thick (two-layer) cardboard.
- The product manual is very well-written. It explains everything in layman’s language.
- The shipping speed of this best MIG Welder is good, as confirmed by previous shoppers.
- The price of this MIG welder may not fit everyone’s budget, especially budget shoppers.
- The Hobart 500559 MIG Welder weighs close to 57 lbs, which is, obviously, on the higher side.
2020 Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process Welder
If you are looking for a powerful MIG welder, the 2020 Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process Welder should be on your wish list. Boasting an impressive power output of 200 amps, it can be used for TIG, MIG, or stick welding without any hiccups.
Just so that you know, it also carries a three-year warranty, which should tell you that the makers truly believe in this product of theirs. It’s a superhero in their eyes. Luckily, customers also consider it to be one of the best products in the MIG welding industry.
The 2020 Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process Welder is designed to make a welder’s life easier. It features a very friendly digital display that lets you set the display for volts and wire speed.
The best part is that you can run this thing with 110 or 220 volts, depending on the project’s requirement. Even at 110 volts, it can conveniently penetrate 1/8 in steel at 18 volts with the MIG function.
Of course, you will get more uses out of this machine from the 220 volts settings. That said, this machine runs beautifully on both settings. Not to mention that its all-metal construction gives it a really long life.
Of course, the price of this MIG welder is not rock bottom. But then, you will definitely get your money’s worth and a lot more. You will undoubtedly love this MIG welder for what it is. You might also recommend this beast to others.
- It has an overload protection system in place to save the motor during overheating scenarios.
- From gas hose, flow meter, power adaptor, contact tips, and more, it comes with almost everything you would need.
- Unlike the competition, this MIG welder is reasonably small and light. So, you can travel with it.
- Extra care is taken to ensure that the product reaches its destination in top shape. The packaging is truly the best ever.
- The tech support team is based in the USA and not in a third-world country.
- The only problem is that the ‘automatic amperage adjustment’ cannot be switched off.
Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder, 120V
This MIG Welder is perfectly suitable for the needs of a novice welder. As marketed, it’s welds well for its small size. Seriously, it can go through thick metal sheets like it’s nothing. So, don’t underestimate the welding capacity of this 140 amps MIG welder. It’s also remarkably easy to carry around. It weighs no more than 19 pounds.
Perfect for small-scale welding jobs, the Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder can weld mild steel up to ¼ in plate. Furthermore, it can easily hold 2.5 lbs of wire roll at once without any hiccups.
Frankly put, the penetration is good for a 110-volt welder. It’s also housed in a well-constructed body. Unlike the competition, the welder’s body is made from metal and not cheap plastic, which should tell you that it’s durable enough for daily use.
It’s a perfect choice for DIYers as it comes with an 8-foot gun, 8-foot clamp, power adaptor, and a handle with torch wrap. Basically, it comes with everything you need to start welding right off the bat. Not to mention that you will also get the hang of this power tool pretty quickly because of its simplistic design.
As you can tell, this MIG welder has a lot going for it. It’s not for professional welders, though. Of course, it’s billed accordingly.
- It’s so easy to set this thing up that you can perform welding within 5-10 minutes of receiving this MED welder.
- It operates great. You just have to give this tool the amps it needs, and it will weld beautifully on any given day.
- You can also make infinite adjustments to the amp and the wire speed.
- The product’s price point is cheap enough for hobbyists to consider this MIG welder without taking a second look at their wallet.
- A highly informative manual is thrown in, which can help you overcome any starting problems.
- The makers don’t include a wire or a brush with this MIG welder. Of course, many may not need it too.
- As hinted before, it’s good for mild welding. Don’t get it if you are a professional welder.
SUNGOLDPOWER MIG Welder 140A
The SUNGOLDPOWER MIG Welder does everything it claims it can do. Basically, it welds well with good penetration. Even at 110-volts, you get lots of usable power.
Of course, you can try 220-volts to scale things up. That said, it can easily handle 1/8th steel at 110-volts. Not to mention that it’s capable enough of going through steel and a variety of different metals. You can also make adjustments to the current and wire feed speed to match the material you will be cutting.
This MIG welder is powerful and lightweight, both at the same time. Moreover, it has separate controls for amperage, drive speed, and voltage. The duty cycle is fantastic as well. It also has fittings for gas. Basically, this welder works with or without gas. The best part is that it won’t leak gas when you choose the gas path. It truly is very convenient for household jobs.
When you get this MIG welder, you also get a flux-cored wire, 59” cable w/earth clamp, a 78.7” MIG torch, a mask, and a handy brush. Better still, this MIG Welder features a powerful fan that prevents it from overheating.
Furthermore, this machine is very well-built for its price, which will make you feel confident about the product’s durability. Seriously speaking, there are very few areas of improvement in this product.
- This MIG welder scores favorably when compared side-by-side to equivalent products.
- It’s really well-packed. The makers have added plywood pieces inside the transit cardboard box for extra protection.
- Each order carries a note that urges customers to call the company with any question or concern.
- The company stands behind its 12-month warranty. You also get a chance to extend the warranty by following them on Facebook.
- It’s a very basic machine. So, it lacks fancy features like LED display, synergic welding, and things along the same lines.
Best MIG Welder: Buying Guide
Well, there are many things you need to consider when shopping for the best MIG welders so that you don’t end up with a lackluster MIG welder. So, checklist these features when shopping for the next MIG welder.
The overload protection feature will essentially protect your investment in the MIG welder by preventing it from getting damaged during overload scenarios.
This should explain why we think this feature is very important. With the overload protection mechanism in place, the device will turn off on its own whenever it senses that the machine is being pushed to its limits. Of course, you will be able to use the machine again once it has cooled off.
Wire Roll Capacity
Pay special attention to the wire roll capacity of the MIG welder as well. Depending on the MIG welder you get, it will be able to handle anywhere from two to ten pounds roll at once. Needless to say, the wire roll capacity will have a huge impact on your productivity.
The ones that can handle more wire rolls will allow you to work more efficiently without stopping in between as you won’t run out of wire soon. You can easily find out the wire roll capacity of the shortlisted MIG welder by taking a look at the product description.
Just so that you are aware of what the duty cycle is all about, it’s nothing sophisticated but the amount of time a MIG welder can run at a stretch before requiring some cooling time.
As you can tell by now, if the duty cycle is not up to the mark, you will have to take too many breaks in between your work, which will, obviously, hamper your productivity. A reasonably good duty cycle for a MIG welder would be 2/3 of the unit’s capacity at 60%.
So, a 100 amp machine putting out 70 amps at 60% can be seen as a reasonably good performance. Of course, access your needs as well. After all, you can’t afford to use an entry-level MIG welder for bigger projects too often. Sooner or later, it will break down under pressure.
When shopping for a MIG welder, you will notice that a lot of brands include a host of accessories with the main product. It’s important for you to know that the quality of the included accessories is usually not the same as the main product.
In other words, don’t expect a lot of value from the free add-ons. Many of the throw-in products are actually worthless. In short, don’t be carried away by the free add-ons. These free accessories can act as a trap to get into buying an inferior product.
The best MIG welders don’t come cheap. Given the fact that you will be spending a decent chunk of money on them, you would want them to last long. To make sure that your interest is protected at all times, go with a brand that offers some sort of warranty on its product.
A good product warranty will send out a clear message that the brand believes that it’s MIG welder will last long, saving you the trouble of spending more money anytime soon. Should it not last long enough, you can always return the product. That said, read the fine prints carefully to find out who will pay for the return shipping.
We suggest that you carefully review all the best MIG welders discussed above to pick a product that truly meets all your specific requirements.
If you have already picked a product, let us know which one it is. We look forward to your comment.